[Cialug] NAS for backup

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 19:00:52 UTC 2024

With any backup system, you need to do DR tests to verify things, and
you'll get an idea on how long the restore will take, and you'll know how
to do it once you really need it.

The "slow" restore speed isn't unique to Synology. If you want premium
speed, look at the Plus (+) models. Once you get into higher end models you
get options like modular network that lets you choose SFP+ or copper 10gb,
and NVMe flash for buffering.

I've been down the path of building my own FreeNAS servers. They can be
difficult to get just the right hardware together to be fast and reliable,
and you spend quite a bit of time putting them together. Synology is the
"easy button" method.

Synology also has a bunch of apps, like several options for backup, remote
mirroring to another Synology or to just about any cloud storage, syncing
files from servers, an IP camera surveillance system (they do charge extra
for more than 2 cameras), Docker support, etc.

If you want real "enterprise" SAN performance you're looking at Dell/EMC,
NetApp etc. They are great, but do take some care and feeding, and you
could buy a nice car for what some of them cost.

-dc