[Cialug] NAS for backup

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Sun Feb 11 18:28:43 UTC 2024

On the DS416's if you need to move backup files to a different device via
the USB port, it's an order of magnitude slower than advertised.  Secondly,
if you have > 1Tb of files to be restored via the network, you're going to
need to bond the network interfaces in the Synology nas and a nic faster
than 1 Gbs on the device you're restoring to, otherwise you could literally
spend a week restoring a backup.

If you're in that range > 1TB spend a little extra money and get a Synology
with a 10 Gbs nic.     Another option for a linux user would be to just get
a 12 bay rack server and build your own.  It's going to use a lot more
power and be noisy in the rack, you'll get it back with a lot of extra
speed when you have to restore or move a backup to a different server or
provide a customer with a copy of their backup and/or data.

Outside of the use case I described above, the 4 bay Synology's are a good
choice.  They aren't considered "Enterprise Level", but for a specific use
case they could be and they are reliable enough to be.

:) Dave

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 11:59 AM Dan Ramaley <dan at ramaley.net> wrote:

> I second the recommendation for Synology. I got one a couple years ago,
> been super happy with it. It's real easy to use, and mostly maintains
> itself.
>
> On 2024-02-11 10:42, David Champion wrote:
> > Synology covers all of this. Have been using them for a long time.
> >
> > -dc
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 11, 2024, 11:29 AM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Any recommendation for a NAS system that will backup Windoze
> workstations?
> >>
> >>   * At least four bays
> >>   * RAID6
> >>   * Good Windoze backup, HW restore would be nice, but
> >>      file restore definitely required
> >>   * DR rsync offsite to normal Linux storage
> >>
> >>          TIA!

NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us