[Cialug] KVMs

Dan Ramaley dan at ramaley.net
Wed Apr 12 19:33:18 UTC 2023

+1
Another vote for the simplicity and cost effectiveness of a crash cart.

Back when i had a job that included free data center access, we used
KVMs around the turn of the century. I think it was in the mid to late
2000s that we switched to a crash cart. Looking back, there were
probably a few factors to that change: server density just got too high
(and the KVMs that can manage double-digit numbers of computers aren't
cheap), remote management (such as IPMI) became standard (or a
relatively low-cost add-on), and reliability of both hardware and
software got good enough that it was pretty rare to need console access
anyway. Oh, we probably also made the shift around the time servers went
from PS/2 connectors for their keyboards to USB, which made our old KVMs
obsolete. Rather than buying new KVMs or a pile of adapters, it was
easier to just rely on the remote management and have a crash cart for
the rare times that wasn't good enough.