[Cialug] Maildir -> PST

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Fri Jan 20 14:40:45 CST 2012

This isn't quite what you're looking for, but years ago when our parent
company told us we had to move to Outlook, we had a bunch of people that
were using Netscape (or Mozilla, or Thunderbird) as their e-mail client.
That is, of course, stored in mbox format.  I found this java based utility
which converted mbox to eml.  The resulting eml files can be loaded into
Outlook Express (if you can still find a copy), and then in Outlook
Express, you can export the files to a PST.

I did a Google search for maildir to Outlook and it looks like there are
utilities to do this for maildir, some converting to eml first, others look
like they will create a PST file directly.

If they're using an Exchange server, the e-mail should be getting written
to an OST file.  So once you've created a PST file, you can open it as an
Outlook data file, and the OST file should remain untouched.  But I would
recommend doing this on a trial basis, and make sure to back up the OST
file first.  I've done this when moving to a new machine.  I'd copy my OST
file over so it didn't have to re-download all of my e-mail (plus I swear
there was e-mail that I had locally that wasn't on the server).

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Todd E Thomas wrote:
>
> > Or use imapsync with --authuserto put the mail somewhere else.
> >
> Unfortunatly, that doesn't work as they do not have a local mailserver,
> and their agreement with the company that hosts the production mailserver
> does not have sufficient storage for the extracted files even if there
> were a way to get the 4GB of data there.
>
> > Storing it on a local box isn't a great idea, even if it's temporary,
> > users will figure out a way to jack up their box while you're on call.
> > That's what users do :)
> >
> It isn't - I dropped a symlink from the user's home directory to the
> directory where I extracted the emails.
>
> I would disagree in any case - pushing GBs worth of archive email through
> ANY mailserver (local, remote, production, test) just doesn't make sense.
>
> I DID find a number of email 'search' tools that will provide a number of
> options should they wish a more sophisticated interface.
>
>        TFTR!
>
>        Lee

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/