[Cialug] OT: In home video distribution

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Dec 1 09:49:15 CST 2009

I have a "poor man's" video distribution setup.  My house is wired for both
cable service and DirecTV.  Since I'm not using cable service, I use it as
my video distribution.  Instead of plugging the cable into the "in" on my
downstairs TiVo, I plug it into the "out".  Then I bought an RF remote, and
I can watch and control the TiVo from any room in the house.  Just for good
measure, I have a signal amplifier between the TiVo and the cable splitter.
If your house is already wired for cable service and you're not using it,
that might be a decent option.  The quality isn't great, but it isn't bad
either.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:43 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Tim Perdue wrote:
>
> > I wondered if any of the other geeks have found a good solution to
> > in-home HD Video Distribution.
> >
> > Having an electrician out to run component jacks everywhere is a
> > possibility, but it would be slicker to do something over ethernet.
> >
> It might be worth doing some sniffing around your provider - Charter, for
> example, is going to 'Switched Digital Video' for all HD channels here in
> St. Louis, which will negate the cable card we're now using for HD.
>
> Won't be long before accessing any outside program source will require an
> STB. Uverse, for example, already provides distribution-over-ethernet.
>
>        Lee

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/