[Cialug] [OT] Security and the browser

Ralph Kessel ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 12:49:27 CDT 2008

Of course, in this global world any notion of cultural determinism is an over-statement.  The  Inuit word for "snow" was an error passed down by my Graduate Instructor in Linguistics for which I appologize.

However, despite France's aggressive attempt to maintain linguistic purity, an number of loan words from English have intruded into French. Non-the-less most Americans attribute French-fries to France.  How many of you have forgotten "Freedom Fries" as our pathetic Franco-phobic reaction to France's opposition to our entry into the Iraq war? (Ironically "French Fries" are said to have originated in Belgium) and in the poly-synthetic French, French Fries are "Pommes de terre frites à cru, en petites tranches" ("Potatoes deep-fried while raw, in small cuttings")    Yes languages are flexible. That was my point of the use of  "multi-tasking" as taken from comp-sci. There are host of words in English which reflect European contact with alien cultures as all languages are to some extent mongrel.  Perhaps this is why computers are still far off from replacing human linguistic capacity (Although someday in the future true Turing interactions would
 possible in the remote future).

Whorf's original work began when he was an insurance investigator trying to determine the causes of accidents when dealing with "flammable" materials.  His conclusions were derived  from the fact that people assumed "empty" meant safe and full containers where "inflammable". We now know the opposite.  He focused on how words shaped our perceptions of reality and that is the point.

Incidentally "Auslander" literally means foreigner and has no racist conotation no more than does xenos (stranger or guest) unless it used in a xenophobic context. A better German word would be Lebensraum ("living space") which Germans had a very specific meaning for.