[Cialug] How to debug media player/window manager interaction

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Jun 26 16:20:35 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 14:45, David Champion wrote:
>Last I knew, xmms was a fairly dead project.

Hmmm, i didn't realize how dead it was. I checked the Changelog and it
hasn't had a major upstream release since 2004, though the version
packaged with Debian has had quite a few patches since then.

>There's a project called "beep" or BMP that's apparantly a fork of
> xmms. I tried it, but liked Audacious better. There's also a new fork
> of xmms called xmms2, haven't tried it.

I just looked at the web page for Audacious. It is actually a fork of
BMP which was a fork of xmms. Audacious forked when development on BMP
stopped; the developers wanted to start over with "BMPx" which has a
more amarok/iTunes-like interface. Xmms2 looks to be developing slowly
and not ready for end-users. Since i don't really want to hack on my
media player, i'd prefer something a little further along for now. I'll
give Audacious a try and see if the problems go away. If not i might be
joining the AfterStep list again and asking why it becomes a CPU pig
when media players are running.