[Cialug] Mac -> Samba

kristau kristau at protonmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:15:05 UTC 2024

Here's what's worked for me consistently in the past:

1) In Finder, press Command-K or navigate to Go -> Connect to Server...
2) In the Server Address: field, enter something like:
   smb://{ip or hostname}/{share name}
3) Click the + if you want to add it to the Favorite Servers list, or just click the Connect button to connect.
4) An authentication dialog should pop up. Fill in the relevant details.
5) A new finder window should open on the root of the share. If you use the sidebar, then the share or hostname (or both) should appear there, too.

Here's a more complete how-to: https://ag.montana.edu/it/support/smb-macs.html#:~:text=From%20the%20Finder%20menu%2C%20click,to%20launch%20Connect%20to%20Server.

If you're browsing to the share through the finder GUI and clicking on an icon, I don't think it's going to work. In my experience, Macs do not play nice with Samba and Windows shares and -insert afterlife of your choice- help you if you need both Windows and Macs to access the same shares!

Thanks!
kristau