[Cialug] X Remote access

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jun 22 20:24:16 UTC 2023

Given the security history of RDP I'm not sure that I want that. PiKVM
seems like the best option for small deployments if you can get them,
especially since the software is open. Bonus with PiKVM vs RDP is that you
can access BIOS screens, trigger a reset, etc.

Jeff

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 2:43 PM Justin Richeson <neomatrixjr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Given the name...I'm going to assume these don't work with wayland?
> Any alternative for wayland?  Also, I agree...being very familiar with
> Windows' RDP...I really wish we could get the same functionality.  Remote
> available on boot/pre-login. Log in to the previous session (including
> console), etc.
>
> On Sun, Jun 4, 2023 at 11:50 PM linux-list at upeke.com <linux-list at upeke.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > +1 on using xrdp using a default ubuntu machine/desktop configuration.
> >
> > From: Cialug <cialug-bounces at cialug.org> on behalf of Aaron Pilgrim <
> > ampilgrim85 at gmail.com>
> > Date: Friday, June 2, 2023 at 8:35 AM
> > To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Cialug] X Remote access
> > I’ve been using xrdp and/or x2go over a tailscale connection. And have
> had
> > great success. X2go is my preferred method since it’s supports proper
> > xwindow access with apps such vscodium and other electron based apps.
> >
> > Using a lighter window manager such as lightdm or gdm with a lighter
> with a
> > lite de like mate or xfce, you’ll get better performance, but my
> experience
> > with strip out KDE, has been pretty good.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 4:39 PM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> >

> > > Been many years since I had a need to use my main workstation remotely,
> > ..
> > > assuming a VPN connection (i.e. local subnet), what is the best way to
> > > work at a GUI currently, and which window manager? IIRC, last time it
> was
> > > Remmina/VNC in 2015.
> > >
> > >         TIA!

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.