[Cialug] Reminder: CIALUG meeting Next Wednesday 7PM Topic: Steam Deck

Nicholas Olson nicholas.olson83 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 01:28:19 UTC 2022

I've really enjoyed my Steam Deck so far. It's been able to run most of the
games I've tried. Whether or not I enjoy the handheld gameplay is a
different story though. Using a mini USB-C dock I had on hand and swapping
into Desktop mode, it became a fairly decent gaming computer with a big
screen/mouse/keyboard/gamepad. Don't think I need to lug around a bulky
laptop on trips anymore. You can also install different OSes on a SD card
and boot from that instead of internal storage. For a couple of
import games I just couldn't get to run under SteamOS or Lutris/Proton/Wine
in Desktop mode, I was able to flash Windows 10 to an SD card  (gross I
know), boot it up and get everything working perfectly fairly quickly. This
thing has a lot of potential.