[Cialug] Century link fiber

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:00:33 UTC 2018

I used to work for an ISP, and did some evaluation on various modems. There
can be a lot of difference in the speed you get depending on the modem /
router you're using. Some of the DSL modems that CenturyLink supplies are
really slow.

I had the best luck with the un-branded Zyxel modems for ADSL / VDSL. The
versions with the CenturyLink firmware were usually limited the available
features, and they probably have a back-door on them that CL and who knows
who else can get into. Also... the default configuration on some of the CL
modems does a permanent DHCP reservation for every device that ever
connects to them. If you set one up with a guest wifi at a business, your
/24 subnet will fill up with reservations real fast.

My favorite experiment was taking two old modems in bridging mode, and
strapping them to a mikrotik router with zip ties to make a bonded modem.
For some reason that one never got out of the lab, but it worked great.

-dc