[Cialug] SSH says: Permission denied (publickey).

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 21:54:41 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try doing "ssh -v me at newhost", compare that to "ssh -v me at oldhost" and see
> what it's doing differently.

Doing that, I see everything the same up until this point:

     debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password

That's what it says for the old server. For the new server it says:

     debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey

So... that would be a problem. And indeed, PasswordAuthentication was
set to no. I swear I checked that three times!

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:10 AM Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought you needed your public key stored in the ~/.ssh folder in order
> > to use private key authentication.

You do. It goes in the authorized_keys file. When I did ssh-copy-id it
stored the key and then I was able to log in using my private key. But
the problem is that people should be able to get onto this server
using a password.

--
Todd