[Cialug] Quad9 DNS Service

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:08:09 UTC 2017

I'm not an expert on these matters, so I had to find, read, and compare
lists of features

Quad9
Aggregates multiple threat databases
No requester IP address logging
EDNS requester IP address leakage prevented
Free for all users

Google DNS
No claims about blocking addresses in threat databases, internal or
external
Requester IP address will be deleted after 24–48 hours, but ISP and
location information are stored permanently
EDNS requester IP address leakage not prevented
? Free for all users

OpenDNS
Threat databases, yes
Logging of requester data is an integral feature
EDNS requester IP address leakage not prevented
Not free for business use

Different goals, different tools

On Nov 17, 2017 08:25, "kristau" <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm pretty sure OpenDNS does this sort of thing already. I think
Google DNS does too? Not that competition isn't good ;)

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:16 AM, jim kraai <jimgkraai at gmail.com> wrote:
> 9/10 here have probably already checked this one out
>
> Industry bigwigs collaborate to block bad actors via DNS
>
> Gratis
>
> https://quad9.net/

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night