[Cialug] Crashplan vs. GC (et al)

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun Nov 19 17:33:39 UTC 2017

A good friend lost his laptops in a fire, and I will be setting up a new
one with some sort of cloud backup.

We share some data, so I will put that on our ownCloud instance, but
looking for recommendations for his personal files:

 > I have seen CrashPlan recommended in the past - still a good
   option? Can files be sync'd or viewed on other systems?

 > Is GoogleDrive really secure? He keeps pics on iCloud, so GC might be
   an option for general stuff;

 > Is purchasing space on iCloud a realistic way to sync files with a PC?

 > Other options? He is not very computer-savvy, so need something that
   won't require a lot of support.

Thanks!

	Lee