[Cialug] Decent diy nas box -- Woot

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Fri Jul 21 16:23:39 UTC 2017

As an aside: Running FreeNAS is fine, but the state of ZFS on Linux has
gotten MUCH better in the last few years and I'd recommend new folks to
"DIY storage" folks w/ linux experience to leverage that experience and
just layer on the storage bits.  FreeNAS is a great standalone device, but
if you're doing linux sysadmin-ery already in your environment, leverage
that w/ ZFS instead of adding YAPTM (yet another platform to manage).

While installing ZFS on Ubuntu is trivial, once installed I like to point
people to the Arch docs for ZFS as they're pretty good for beginners. (skip
the install bits and just jump to the configuration section)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS

I run 4x8TB drives in a zfs box on a supermicro board with 4 gigs of ram
with an icydock tool less drive sled i picked up from newegg years ago.