[Cialug] Ubuntu server name resolution!

Tom Sellers tsellers2009 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:06:46 CDT 2016

I have been using a Ubuntu server 12.04 server for central file storage in
my home for some time.  It was running out of space so I decided to replace
the drive with a larger one.  I first tried to clone the disk which did not
work out well.  Then I decided to simply install fresh which went well
until i tried to work with an outside site.  When I would ping a site like
www.google.com I would get an unknown host message.  Browsing the internet
I found a suggestion to add nameserver 8.8.8.8 to the top of the
resolv.conf file.  This works briefly but then stops again as the
resolv.conf file gets overwritten as it says in that file.

In any event I have been unable to get the name resolution to work
consistently on any long term basis.  I am obviously missing something.  I
have looked at the old drive network setup files and have not been able to
find a difference.  The original server was running 12.04.2 and the new
version is 12.04.5.

Also I am not able to update the system.  It tells me when I log in that
there are 107 security updates but even though it appears to run when I use
the sudo apt-get update command the next time I boot there are the same
number of updates.

Anyone have any suggestions to help resolve either of these issues?