[Cialug] Ubuntu usermode ported to Windows: a sign of the end times?

Kenneth Younger kyounger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:00:07 CDT 2016

Definitely watch the video Sean linked to. This is legit Ubuntu. They even
run apt-get installs and vanilla vim. These are unix binaries through and
through.

It is NOT linux, though. It is an interop for userland with the windows
kernel, and it looks like they put in a lot of effort to get this far, but
even they admit there's a lot more work to do. Honestly, as a cygwin user,
this looks like a better alternative.

My guess is that this is how windows on docker will work? Or is at least
some element in that equation.

-Kenny