[Cialug] The systemd Init System

Scott Yates Scott at yatesframe.com
Wed Dec 9 16:13:10 CST 2015

Specifically, systemd seems to have the idea that all other init systems
are broken, and they have taken it on themselves to "fix" them.  The idea
of a monolithic init system makes me nervous because it throws away 30+
years of proven ideas.

Binary logging similarly bothers me.  Logging systems have been in place
for years and have been battle tested and proven.

The whole mind-set of fixing things that are not broken bothers me.
Anointed Solution, does not mean it is the best solution.

Obviously I will wait it out and see how things develop, as I am not nearly
as smart as some of the guys working on systemd, but from what I have seen
so far, I just don't see the benefit over the existing infrastructure that
is already working and tested.