[Cialug] Password managers

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Mon Sep 15 12:49:08 CDT 2014

There are some ideas lately for building a hardware password locker.  Hackaday is working on a project they call "Mooltipass", which is a small device that takes a pin and RFID card along with the website credentials to unlock passwords stored on the Mooltipass's EEPROM encrypted with AES-256.

I've also been working on something similar, which won't require any drivers or programs to be installed on the target computer.  My plan is to use a ferroelectric RAM chip to store the AES-256 encrypted passwords, which can be unlocked/decrypted with a fingerprint and RFID/NFC sensor.  If the fingerprint and RFID card match the microcontroller will type the password in for you.  The MCU appears to the computer as a USB HID keyboard device, so it would be compatible with any computer that can use a USB keyboard (which includes many Android devices, assuming they have a USB host port).  I may also try to use a Bluetooth HID chip to interface with mobile devices that don't have USB ports (like hopefully my iPod Touch).

With the maker movement in full swing, a lot of things like this should pop up.  I'm not sure I'll ever completely finish my password locker project, but if I do I'll
put up a build log.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer