[Cialug] LAMP/installers/distros

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Nov 12 11:09:26 CST 2014

I don't know that Ubuntu gives you a specfic installer option called
"LAMP", but every Linux distro that you're likely to encounter will
give you a way to get the pieces installed.  You just need to install
Apache, MySQL and PHP.  MySQL is being replaced by MariaDB in some
distros but they are functionally equivalent.

If you don't install all of this stuff when setting up the box it's
easy enough to install it later.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Todd Pierce <toddcpierce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I don't have a ton of experience with Linux installations, but I've lately
> been graced with the installer asking me if I want to install the LAMP
> bundle.  It has proved very convenient.
>
> Now I have a client (human) who will provide me with a Linux box but I'm
> concerned he might not include this bundle in the installation.
>
> So really, I just want to be able to speak authoritatively on these matters
> before he attempts an installation of the wrong thing, or maybe I should do
> it myself with a distro compliant with his company.
>
> My ultimate question is, is it normal these days for any distro to offer up
> installation of the LAMP bundle?  If the distro is Ubuntu, will the desktop
> version inquire whether you want that installed?
>
> I'm all ears.
>
> -Todd

Jeff Ollie