[Cialug] some truth to that

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue May 20 13:32:30 CDT 2014

On 2014-05-20 at 11:27:14 Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> What's even worse is the nontrivial variation in regex syntaxes across
> languages/libraries.

My favorite is that the PCRE library (PCRE=Perl Compatible Regular
Expressions) is not actually Perl compatible. At least, not with Perl 5;
maybe it was compatible with an archaic version.

The one part of regex that i still don't quite get is lookarounds.
Whenever i have to do one of those i reach for some reference books to
figure it out just well enough to make it work. And when i see one, i
recognize the syntax just well enough that i know what it is and know to
go grab my references to help figure it out. Fortunately, not many
people use lookarounds. I don't use them very often; *usually* when i
think i need one i realize that the problem i'm trying to solve would be
done more efficiently or more maintainably with a mix of normal code and
a less complicated regex.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu