[Cialug] Wi-fi recommendations

Nathan C. Smith NSmith at hhlawpc.com
Mon Mar 10 15:16:50 CDT 2014

Are all radios supported in DD-WRT?  I would normally recommend pfSense with a wifi card running on something like an Alix box, but FreeBSD support for 'n' took a while and may still not be in the pfSense distro.  I don't know the specifics of DD-WRT, do they just extract the radio firmware blobs and re-use them?

I have used (and really liked) Engenius access points - I have had one in my attic (crazy temperature extremes) for several years now and it is still going strong.  Recent Engenius models actually came with a card explaining how to flash them with DD-WRT -  I thought that was impressive.

What about using embedded-ish hardware these days, like Beagleboard and Raspberry pi?

-Nate