[Cialug] Mediacom to boost speeds

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 30 13:07:01 CDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Justin Richeson <neomatrixjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, I'm on CrashPlan too.  Have my parent's place and my place set up with
> a central backup system and then cross-offsite backups to each other.  Any
> time I want to play battlefield 4 I have to kill crashplan on my PC and my
> server.
>
> And yep, VDSL2 to our house. :(  I had heard good things about the ZyXel
> Q100, but they're almost impossible to find.  They're a basic VDSL2 modem.
>  No Router, no WiFi, just phone in, eth out.  On that topic...anyone know
> why I can go to the store (or at least amazon) and find half a dozen cable
> modems, but if I look for DSL I can only find...pretty much whatever CL is
> offering right now...so 1, maybe 2 models?

Yeah, I've searched and searched as well and found nothing.

> I'm probably going to put my modem/router/ap into passthrough only as soon
> as I can get my hands on a router I like.  Problem is they're all WAY out
> of my <$100 (and the less the better) budget right now.  Then again, I'm
> picky.  I want too much.  An 802.11ac dual-band router with a gigabit
> switch and DD-WRT support that has a good processor and sufficient RAM
> isn't too much to ask is it?! :)  Though I'd be willing to blow my budget
> for one of these bad boys:
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaprouter/soap-first-smart-router-w-touch-display-powered-by
> Too bad I missed the early buy-in prices.

IMHO, either look for a Cisco router on eBay or run a Linux distro on
a small/quiet PC.  Get a separate gig-e switch and a separate wireless
access point.  You'll pay a little bit more for that then getting an
all-in-one solution but you'll get so much more
performance/flexibility.

On the other hand, the Linksys WRT1900AC looks interesting, if a tad pricey.

--
Jeff Ollie