[Cialug] Small and quiet Linux box suggestions

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Apr 27 12:17:17 CDT 2014

Ubuntu has historically ran very well as long as you didn't have the latest hardware. Usually the first Ubuntu release after a new hardware release had things working very well. As a matter of fact, Canonical had sticker packs designed to de-brand Apple hardware for people who presented often and liked the Macs.

That said, Don is right on the money. VMWare Fusion (not free, but very reasonably priced) runs Linux amazingly well. Ubuntu 12.04 desktop[1] ran better in VMWare than it did in dual boot mode due to the fact that VMware interpreted mouse gestures and translated them to the OS. The lack of noticeable performance impact is truly amazing. My non-scientific opinion is that apmd works better in a VM than it does on bare metal.

[1] I never successfully made the jump past 12.04 on the desktop

--
Matthew Nuzum