[Cialug] PRIVACYCON: A broader outline of the event

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Fri Sep 20 12:11:59 CDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:33:54AM -0500, Todd Walton wrote:
> First off, "PRIVACYCON"?  I think what I gathered from the email is that
> this was an idea cooked up at the last meeting?  Can you clarify for those
> of us who weren't there?

The idea was proposed in this thread, from Sept. 6:

http://cialug.org/pipermail/cialug/2013-September/022765.html

You responded to it ;)

The name PRIVACYCON was suggested by someone at the meeting.

> Second off, sign me up for ambassador!

Great!

The first thing to do is flesh out our ideas a bit more.

THEN, we can go to groups (face to face) who might be interested in
partnering up.  A short starter list (please add to it):

* http://www.aclu-ia.org (Iowa ACLU)
* http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx (Find NRA near you)
* http://lpia.org (Libertarian Party of Iowa)
* http://greens.org/iowa/ (Green Party of Iowa)
* http://www.iowanorml.org (Iowa NORML)
* http://www.iasl-ia.org (Iowa Association of School Librarians)
* http://www.yaliberty.org/chapters/drake-university (Drake YAL)

So you could think about a group from that list, or choose one of your
own.  I'll be contacting groups in Ames.

Other places to look:

http://www.drake.edu/life/clubsorganizations/

Of course, our event will be _non-political_.  It will be "technical for
the non-technical."

You should come to the next meeting!

> (Third off, I like your ideas.  Especially the one-two punch of a follow up
> installfest.  You do sound like you've done this before.)

Thanks!  I think this event can be a big deal.  We've been reading
stories in the news for long enough now, and it's time to roll up our
sleeves and do something about it.

Nicolai