[Cialug] GUI Programming

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 13:15:02 CST 2013

I hate it when programming books use card games or pizza ordering
programs to aid learning of the language.  It fails to interest me.
O'Reilly has some sort of magical voodoo stuff they use to get around
having to use games and pizza, and yet still teach you a language.
Other publishers could learn something from them, I think.

I'm not a professional programmer, but it does take up a good chunk of
my workday.  I'm taking a second level programming class right now at
Simpson, based on Java.  Last time I took a Java class it was taught
by an evil villain (the guy wore all white suits and a pink bowtie)
and I was scarred.  This time it's going better, though.  The
instructor is very cool and we're not creating pizza programs.  But I
have trouble understanding GUI programming.  I feel like there's some
basic lesson where they explained the reasoning, the concepts, the
things you're supposed to keep in mind, that I missed.  I'm great with
logic, and I grok the whole object oriented thing.  Not a prob.
Polymorphism.  Inheritance.  Cool stuff.  But I don't get GUI
programming.

Question: If you are a programmer, how often do you program GUIs?
Visual stuff other than markup?

--
Todd