[Cialug] Another introduction

Nicholas Olson nicholas.olson83 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 20:06:41 CDT 2013

Since Aaron took the time to introduce himself, as another CIALug noob I
thought it would be a good idea to do the same. My name is Nick, and I
recently relocated to the Des Moines area to start my career after
graduating from the Computer Science department at UNI.  I've been a member
of CedarLUG for the past few years, as well as the head of UNI's Computer
Club and a member of the cyber defense team. Prior to college, I spent 7
years in the military as a satellite communications network controller.
I've been interested in *nix for over a decade now, but only since my
second year in college did I ever really go beyond just basic use. Now
after 3 years of regular use, thanks to everything that Linux can do,
rarely a day goes by where I don't recognize my knowledge base as still
being severely deficient in some way.

I'm really looking forward to getting more involved in the community in the
coming months. I did come to the meeting last week, and was that quiet
[possible fed?] at the end just listening to everyone's stories. I am
limited in what I can do yet, as I'm still getting settled and trying to
find a permanent residence. The African missionaries who own condos and
homes in DSM and are trying to rent them out on Craigslist are making that
difficult. As a person who had 20+ computer systems in his spare bedroom
and countless VM's, being limited to a couple laptops on spotty hotel wifi
for the last 4 weeks is diving me nuts.

Nick