[Cialug] RFC & best practices for mail server hostnames?

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Fri Feb 1 12:12:07 CST 2013

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:42:04AM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> I found out recently that a major insurance company (State Farm), has at
> least two email servers that are not configured with hostnames - as a
> result, our mail servers regularly block emails from statefarm.org.
>
> Is RFC2821/3.6 the governing document?

No.  The order to follow is:

821, obsoleted by
2821, obsoleted by
5321

The RFCs prohibit IP addresses in MX records.  (I assume that's what
you're alluding to... of course, as usual you haven't delineated
anything.)

Are you talking about a subdomain with an MX record containing an IP
address, or a random machine, with no MX record, that lacks A/PTR records?
Either way it's wrong.

Nicolai