[Cialug] Luddite SysAdmin

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:39:12 CST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Dave Hala Jr <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> 4. You dont have to pay for a data plan that gets a lot bytes eaten up
> by apps that send information without your knowledge or consent.

5. You can make 911 calls.

It's never actually happened that I couldn't make a 911 call, but...
My phone locks up and gets very difficult to use for a good minute's
worth of time whenever it smells wifi.  It's like trying to pull a dog
away from a fire hydrant or tree that it smells something on.  Very
hard.

So the other day I wanted to make a phone call.  I pushed the
screen-on button, opened the phone app and tapped on one of my
contacts.  But right about then the sniffing began.  So for a minute I
couldn't work the phone, but I was frustrated so I kept pushing the
name and then it jerked open and then I pushed the "mobile" listing I
had for this person and it wouldn't go so I hit the back button but it
wouldn't go and ARGH!  Eventually the phone app crashed and restarted
itself.  Then I got a call from the person saying her phone had rang
but there was no one on the line.

What if I had been trying to call 911???  The house would've burned
down by that point.  And all because this "phone" (I use scare quotes
here) can't handle connecting to wifi and doing anything else at the
same time.  Samsung Epic 4G (a Galaxy S type).  Not smart, phone, not
smart.

--
Todd