[Cialug] Linux on locked machines

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue May 15 13:45:30 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM, jrnosee <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's input.  I think I'll see if it will let me boot USB
> as I really don't want to touch the system any more than necessary.  If I
> can get it to work I've got an internal SD card reader as well...I might
> try to do some I/O tests and see if a fast SD card would be about the same
> or any better than USB and if I can boot that.

Sadly, in my experience, installing to a USB drive and installing to an SD
are not in the same league (regarding complexity). Maybe newer machines
make life easier but I've not yet been able to boot off of an SD card.

I did pick up a 8G usb drive that barely sticks out from the usb port. It
was $10 at Staples.

--
Matthew Nuzum