[Cialug] Ubuntu 12.04

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat May 12 11:01:21 CDT 2012

I upgraded Ubuntu to 12.04 yesterday and ran into some problems.

I used the graphical update manager thing.  It stopped at about .02% in to
the "installing" phase, at "configuring libc-bin".  I left for work, came
back, it was still there.  It turned out that I had to expand the built in
Terminal window and hit Enter to a message that said it was going to
restart some services.  Given that it said to close open programs before
starting upgrade, it could have just done it.

Now, since upgrade, my computer has frozen every time I've started it.  Not
X, mind you, but the OS.  I can't Ctrl Alt Backspace or F1.  Can't do
anything except (strangely) move the mouse pointer around.

Also, between boot and freeze there are other problems.  The Unity bar on
the left got changed to not auto hide, and when I set it back I had trouble
getting it to slide out. Its fancy little shadow quivers like it wants to
come out but can't. I have to shake the mouse a little.

And I have some trouble with the screen not updating as I scroll down
emails in Evolution.  If I move the mouse to the edge of the screen it
flashes and updates.

Just figured I'd share my story and suggest being cautious about upgrading
if you're running Ubuntu.

--
Todd