[Cialug] Supermicro Build?

Prescott Kulow scott.kulow at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:14:42 CDT 2012

I haven't used a Supermicro server in while, so I can't speak about
compatibility with any recent models, but in my experience Supermicro
makes very well put together servers.  They are well organized inside,
easy to work on, and I have never had any issues installing any OS on
them in the past (whether Windows or Linux).  If you want a whitebox
server you won't do much better than them.

What are you using the server for?  I find it kind of odd that you are
worried about the Matrox video as after the initial install all you
really need is SSH.  Regardless of what is in there, Linux will surely
provide at least some support with one of the generic drivers or at
the very least with a text based install.

If the RAID controller isn't supported, you can always use Linux
software RAID.  In my experience it is reliable and performs better
than most of the dedicated RAID controllers, much less an integrated
motherboard softraid setup.