[Cialug] [Your own] IPv6 in Central Iowa

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jun 7 09:46:53 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org>wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Let's put together an IPv6 list of local ISPs and networks.  I've
> contacted a few ISPs; please add to this list!
>
> The following ISPs and networks support IPv6
>
>  - Iowa State University www.iastate.edu
>  - DMACC www.dmacc.edu
>
> The following ISPs and networks responded to my email, but don't currently
> support IPv6:
>
>  - Prairie iNet prairieinet.net

Good idea. If you can't wait for your ISP you can pretty easily set up a
tunnel. I bought a new router from linksys, the e2500 (which I give 5
stars). I picked it because it was one of the few with ipv6 support built
in.

Then I registered a tunnel with tunnelbroker.net (takes only a minute).

In the e2500 (and according to a colleague in the e4200) admin panel there
is a tunnel configuration section. Enter the details from
tunnelbroker.netand voila, your whole house is IPv6 enabled. My iPod,
wife's iPad and
iPhone, my Android phone, Kindle Fire, HP Officejet Pro printer and all PCs
picked up IPv6 addresses within minutes. The only devices in the house that
didn't get IPv6 were the Wii, 3DS and Bluray player. I hear older versions
of Windows XP need a little extra config but my XP sp3 test VM didn't need
anything special.

The router also has a simple firewall option for ipv6 which seems to work
well. It looks like the router also has the option to go ipv6 only but I'm
not that brave.

I did notice something funny last night, when I go to google and type
"what's my IP" it only tells me my IPv6 address. (it might be nice to tell
me both ipv6 and ipv4 addresses)

The only problem that I've found with the above configuration is that I
didn't get a very nice IPv6 address from the tunnel broker. Boo hoo. :-)

--
Matthew Nuzum