[Cialug] Mounting a USB drive at boot time in Debian Squeeze

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Sat Jan 14 01:42:22 CST 2012

I want to mount an external USB device at boot time.  It worked fine in earlier versions of Debian.

I have a machine set up with Debian Squeeze.  I have fstab set up to mount an external USB drive using the UUID of the disk.  It works fine once the machine is running I mount the mount point or type mount -a.  The disk does not mount during system boot up.  I can't find any errors in the log that indicate why.

What I have been able to find so far seems to indicate udev is trying to help me with my removable disk.   It seems they want to keep USB drives in userland.   I see a lot of references to udev rules but I haven't found anything yet that plainly tells me how to set up the rules, or disable udev enough to make the classic fstab settings work.

Has anyone else run into this?  Anyone have any pointers?

-Nate