[Cialug] Home music

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Jan 3 21:37:04 CST 2012

On Jan 3, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Josh More wrote:

> At this time, I am leaning towards XBMC and connecting them to NFS
> shares off of my ReadyNAS and home server.  I've looked at Plex, but
> there doesn't seem to be a Linux client, so unless I buy tablets and
> hide them in odd places, that could be a less than ideal solution.
> However, it seems like this should be a lot easier by now.  What are
> all of you doing?

I'd strongly recommend Plex over XBMC. I don't use it much for audio, but I've got almost 23,000 video files in it for usage much like you describe for your audio, and it's by far the best solution I've found.

There's a beta Linux client for Plex:
	http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/34482-the-state-of-plex-media-center-on-linux/
I haven't tried it yet, so I can't speak as to what is isn't working. But linux client support is definitely on their list, and their devs will actually talk to you if you find bugs/etc.

There's also PlexBMC, a plugin for XBMC that will connect to a Plex server:
	http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/27270-plexbmc-client-for-xbmc/

Plex is a lot like XBMC (being based on it) but it's slicker, and the design has been updated to make it easy to manage your collection as a single server and multiple clients*. You can make XBMC work on multiple systems with a shared filesystem, but you'll run into concurrency issues when it updates its databases and whatnot. When I was running XBMC I eventually declared one system the master and gave only it write access to the DB files so they boxes wouldn't interfere with each other.

	Zach

*Among other things. It also has a vastly improved scanner, transcoding support, etc. But most of the other new features are less important for audio-only use.