[Cialug] md stumper

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Dec 28 15:54:14 CST 2012

On Dec 28, 2012, at 3:01 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Trying to build a system using disks that were previously in a RAID1
> set, .. I zero'd both disks using dd for the first 10MB, but no matter
> what I due the install keeps coming up with a md device.
>
> How can one get RID of the MD config? mdadm does not see the device, but
> the installer keeps coming up with md127 and I cannot use the 2nd disk.

If you've got a version 0.9 or 1.0 md superblock it's actually at the end of the disk (starts no more than 128k from the end), not the beginning.

Version 1.1 is at the beginning of the disk, and version 1.2 is 4k from the beginning of the disk.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_superblock_formats#The_version-0.90_Superblock_Format

	Zach