[Cialug] Slightly OT, .. WiFi Latency

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Aug 22 21:25:46 CDT 2012

We normaly use cable connections for the industrial systems we install,
which operate on a 'short transaction' type of traffic (a few hundred
bytes at a time, with a variable amount of time in between)..

Never had a problem in the past with latency with wire, but we just moved
one installation and they are using WiFi temporarily until they can get
cables run.

Has anyone ever encountered what appears to be a 'connection setup'
latency between wired and WiFi? In this case, the first 'transaction'
seems to run slow [but complete properly], .. subsequent transactions are
just fine; after a wait period, again, the first transaction is slow.

The units have excellent signal strength, and are connecting at 54 Mbps,
.. and, once a 'transaction' sequence is in process, response is
excellent.

It 'feels' to me like it takes longer to establish a connection over
WiFi, .. some of the notes I find online indicate that is fact, but I
don't see any explanation.

Would anyone have any thoughts on why/justification/possible ways to fix?

	Thanks!

	Lee