[Cialug] ZFS Storage overhead

Matt Breitbach matthewb at flash.shanje.com
Fri Sep 30 00:41:30 CDT 2011

The checksums don't take up much space.  I'm not in front of a system right
now, but if you're looking at a parity based setup (raidz/z2) you can assume
it's going to be similar to raid 5/6 (respectively).  Mirrored stripes will
be similar to raid10.  Obviously there is the checksum data, but when you're
talking TB of data, that overhead is relatively insignificant.  I've got
some additional suggestions for the optimal config if you want to contact me
off-list.  It might cost you a new DSL modem though ;)

-Matt

  _____