[Cialug] Virtualbox under Ubuntu 11.04

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Sep 21 11:21:41 CDT 2011

Hi, there is a command line interface to VirtualBox but I'm not sure if it
will work without a graphical interface. I routinely use it but I have a
desktop OS installed.

Another option that you may have is KVM on Ubuntu. It is targeted
specifically at servers. It would be an alternative to VirtualBox.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 server version on a machine and then tried to
> install virtualbox on the same machine.   The problem that I seem to have
> encountered is that virtualbox appears to require a graphical desktop which
> is not installed with the server version.   The machine is a dual core
> processor laptop with 1 GB of memory.
>
> First question is does virtualbox require the graphical desktop instead of
> a command line interface?
> Second question is should I have used the client version instead of the
> server version of Ubuntu 11?
>
> Anyone have any experience that could share some of that expertise with me?
>
> Thanks

Matthew Nuzum