[Cialug] Install Gnome 3 w/o network-manager and pulseaudio

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Mon Nov 14 09:37:06 CST 2011

Hehe. I just recently installed RHEL 6 at work for the first time. I did
a minimal install, which was so minimal that networking wasn't even
configured! Turns out it's because RHEL 6 went to networkmanager, and
that package isn't installed with the minimal set. A quick manual edit
of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 got networking working
again though.

I might've found half of the solution to the Gnome 3 issues on Debian;
it seems that on installation the network-manager package *comments out*
the lines in /etc/network/interfaces that allow the network to work! I
was a bit flabbergasted to discover that, but whatever. I really
wouldn't mind having the network-manager package installed as long as it
is completely dormant. So i think the solution would be to not only
disable its init.d scripts, but also remove the commenting out that it
adds to the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Now if i can find out how to completely disable pulseaudio despite
having it installed, maybe i can put the gnome package back on the
system. I'll keep looking...