[Cialug] Can someone translate for me?

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Tue May 3 08:24:33 CDT 2011

actually the first command changes who can do what with the file.

for the first command a quicky explanation is there are three groups.  the
owner, the group, and then everyone else.
basically changing the permissions to 777 allows EVERYONE (owner, group, and
everyone) to do everything (read,write, execute) to that file. unrelated:
triple sevens always scare me a bit.
the second unpacks the file in the current directory (because no path is
given).  the x = decompress, the v = tell me ALL about it (verbose), the f =
don't ask me questions, just f do it.

for non techies.

1) change the permissions to the file so that you can....
2) decompress (or unzip) the file to the directory it resides in.

-theron