[Cialug] Prepping new servers

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Mon Jul 25 17:55:36 CDT 2011

On 7/25/2011 4:14 PM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> I'm trying to minimize the amount of time (or more importantly, the
> number of steps) needed to bring a server up ready to run a certain
> configuration.
>
> The software needed is a combination of debian packages and python
> modules as well as some python code checked out from a git repo.
>
> What would you do? For the moment I'm deploying to EC2 so if there's
> something especially EC2 helpful I'm happy to hear about it.

I've researched this a bit myself but never had a chance to try any of
these. Most of these use a library to interact with EC2 and then use
something like Chef or Puppet for the configuration management.

PoolParty - http://auser.github.com/poolparty/

Sumo - http://github.com/adamwiggins/sumo

Let us know what you find that works well for you.

Eric