[Cialug] Any Industrial folks around?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jul 5 13:41:00 CDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Have a potential project to create a few conveyor controller applications -
> does anyone do/support them currently?
>
> Need things like:
>
> 1) Debugging capability and/or IDE
> 2) RS232 management & debugging support
> 3) Operator GUIs [HMIs]
> 4) Web status pages (3&4 may be combined)
>
> My biggest problem is that I have never seen a debug-capable environment
> that was as usable as VBA from a simplicity standpoint, so what options
> might exist in OSS?

I currently use PyCharm [1], which is an IDE that is not open source but
does have great debugging support. It does not have a GUI developer, maybe
because Python is not well known as a tool for doing graphical interfaces. I
use it to develop web apps with the python based Django tool [2]. If you
combine points 3 and 4 then Python can do all you ask.

If a graphical interface is needed for an open source project I'd suggest
using either Java or Qt. Qt creator [3] is a pretty slick tool and it lets
you write your code in about any language but primarily caters to C++ or
Javascript developers. The code can be deployed to many platforms. It works
with an IDE such as Eclipse.

Open source Java developers got a boost with the latest version of Eclipse
(Indigo) [4] because the WindowBuilder gui editor was open sourced and now
included in Eclipse. Eclipse has great support for Java and I'd say it's
debugging and code writing features eclipse VBA. (though VBA's tools are
great)

[1] http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
[2] https://www.djangoproject.com/
[3] http://qt.nokia.com/products/developer-tools/