[Cialug] Wanted: Used Rackmount Server

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Dec 20 10:07:43 CST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> On 12/19/2011 5:55 PM, Pixel // pinterface wrote:
>
>> I'd like something along the lines of:
>>  * 64-bit processor
>>    multicore would be nice, but not strictly necessary
>>  * 4GB+ RAM
>>    I can always add more later, but it'd be nice not
>>    to have to buy some right away
>>  * 100GB+ drives
>>    ideally, 2+ for RAID
>>
>> No preinstalled OS necessary; I'm just gonna wipe it as soon as I get it
>> anyway.  Under $500 would be ideal.
>>

> Geeks.com has woot specials constantly, with 2U or 1U boxes that fit your
> needs.
>
> Head to geeks.com and search 1U in their search box.  A lot of Dual Xeons
> under $400 that would suit your needs.
>
> Woot codes typically get you $5 shipping + Ram upgrades.

Be careful of single core dual processor Xeon and Opterons. They usually do
not have the virtualization instructions wich will limit the things you can
do with them. The dual core and quad core models usually do have
them. Therefore a dual core at 2.3GHz may end up being more useful in the
long run than a Dual 3.2GHz.

Yes, I learned this the hardway. If you want to use Xen on a server that
does not have virtualization, you can use paravirtualization but this has
two flaws: It limits the host OS since some have better support for this
than others (Debian is better than Ubuntu), and it also limits the guest OS
(Windows is out).

Here is a vendor on e-bay who sells used servers that I've bought from a
few times and had excellent results with: http://stores.ebay.com/PDNEIMAN

--
Matthew Nuzum