[Cialug] FOSS Incident tracking

Todd E Thomas todd_dsm at ssiresults.com
Mon Dec 12 15:18:24 CST 2011

Chris, while you're doing testing on VMs, take a look at OTRS
<http://otrs.org/products/otrs-platform>. It fits the general criteria
and is something I've been looking at but have not gotten around to it yet.

I think Todd (the other Todd) is right about process. Define it, then
find a tool to support it, then training should result in a more
intuitive exorcise.

If you don't want to re-invent the wheel, I believe IEEE has sorted this
all out and documented the "template" support process; then you can
diddle with it from a strong base-line. It should be one of the last
documents in the SDLC series under "application development". Yes, there
is a /standardized/ method of support too ;)

Anyway, should you try OTRS please let me know how that turns out. The
reviews are great but I'm sure they are hand-picked by the company. I'd
be interested in knowing just how flexible it really is.

Since they tout it as "extremely flexible", it should fit the other
requirement of supporting /your/ process, whatever that should be.

Todd E Thomas
C: 515.778.6913
"It's a frail music knits the world together."
-Robert Dana