[Cialug] SOT: What is everyone's favorite FOSS CMS these days?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Aug 11 15:52:13 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com>wrote:

> I'm looking for an open source CMS or forum system.  I don't need one that
> is particularly fancy but what I would like it one that is easy to update
> for security reasons.  Is there one that is easy to do an in-place upgrade
> on - like WordPress can do?
>
> Easy to get running would be nice too, but security above all else.
>
> I'm looking for voices of experience here: I had a system running Drupal
> get owned one time, so fool me one, fool me twice, etc.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

What is it that Wordpress doesn't do for you? I'd suggest it before anything
else.

Sorry about your Drupal security issues, they actually have a very
responsive security team. The trick to not getting hacked is to be careful
what 3rd party modules you install and keep up to date on security. For
example, if you only install 3rd party modules that are "released" (not in
devel mode) that are listed on drupal.org then you'll get e-mail
announcements if there is a security issue found. Also, now Drupal has a
built in report that lets you see if there are updates available for your
modules. You do have to install them yourself though.

If neither Drupal or Wordpress will work for you, do you have any
requirements? (Does it have to be PHP?) I've been doing CMS research for
work and I've got a list of possibilities.

--
Matthew Nuzum