[Cialug] Unix History - Thompson and Ritchie

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Wed Apr 27 10:53:06 CDT 2011

I thought some of you may be interested in seeing this video that shows
Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie of Bell Labs discussing Unix. They have
some epic beards.

http://youtu.be/7FjX7r5icV8

My favorite quote is when Ritchie says "What we wanted to preserve was
not just a good environment in which to do programming, but a system
around which a fellowship could form. We knew from experience that the
essence of communal computing, as supplied by remote-access,
time-sharing systems, is not just to type programs into a terminal
instead of a keypunch, but to encourage close communication."

Eric