[Cialug] OT: cheap CFL bulbs

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Jun 3 12:09:56 CDT 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, David Bierce wrote:

> If there is too much light for you, half the number of of active bulbs.

A MUCH better solution for standard lights is to put a diode in series
with the circuit! I regularly do this with work lights [makes them last
for 3x-4x normal life], .. and also the lights at the bottom of the stairs
that are on all the time.

A 1N4003 is good for an amp, which is ~100W of bulbs. Doesn't work with
CFLs, however, but does work great for the small specialty bulbs.

> Also, Do not put CFL in an enclosed light fixture, it cuts their life
> half as the heat eventually breaks the ballast, resulting in a dead
> bulb.

Very true! We have a couple in our master bath, and even the bulbs *rated*
for enclosed fixtures seldom reach a year.

	Lee