[Cialug] Robert Half and/or local consulting company experiences.

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Sun Jan 17 23:51:26 CST 2010

On 1/17/2010 9:41 PM, Don Cady wrote:
> -snip-
>> IIRC, they also wanted me to accept a financial obligation that was to
>> persist beyond the time they paid me - and that (for me) was/is a
>> showstopper. I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
>
> Are you willing or able to elaborate?

I was invited to inflate my skills inventory to claim a level of
expertise I didn't have, and in the same meeting I was presented with an
contract which would allow them to make a claim against any possible
future work done for any of their clients, without any time limit.

I've never been bashful about forthrightly telling clients about how my
strengths and weaknesses might affect my work for them. Sometimes
they've thanked me and continued their search, and sometimes they've
decided they wanted me for my strengths sufficiently to pay me to learn
enough to fill in the weak spots - but I firmly believe that the client
is entitled to a solid, factual basis for decision-making.

As far as the contract was concerned, I decided that too many of my
possible future clients might also be their clients - and I felt it
inappropriate to obligate myself to them for work that I found without
their involvement. It smelled like a bowl of pottage and I just wasn't
that hungry.

The resume request, I suppose, I could chalk up to the person I was
talking to being over-eager or desperate, but I felt the contract was
the embodiment of an avaricious corporate policy.

 > Was this something that would apply to everyone, or just your specific
 > situation?

Both aspects deal with personal values - I have known people who
admitted claiming expertise they didn't have and who shrugged that off
as "something everybody does", and I wasn't in so desperate a situation
that the bank was about to foreclose on my home mortgage. Everyone has
to make their own call on this one.

Interestingly, my next prospect listened to me explain that I had no
experience in n-tier networking, that I had no experience in multi-cast
networking, that I had no experience in networking at all, and that I
had no inkling whatever how a stock exchange processed trades - and then
offered me double the amount to tackle a problem they hadn't been able
to solve with people who were well-grounded in /all/ of the above. They
thought I could overcome my "minor" weaknesses and were willing to see
how much progress I might make in six months. I started work the day
after Veterans' Day and had a clean solution (that exceeded their
wildest hopes) vetted and installed before Christmas, so they were
reasonably well-pleased.

[ There's a bit more detail at http://www.iedu.com/mrd/mrd_res1.html in
the PHLX paragraph (3rd entry from top). To my amazement, I actually did
learn how trades are processed in exchanges. As you might guess, it's
both simpler and more complex than I'd expected. :) ]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar