[Cialug] DSL and wireless

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jan 7 22:23:55 CST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 9:54 PM, Tom Sellers wrote:

> I loaded DSL on a USB stick so that I could boot up my laptop in Linux rather than try to use my other old laptop.  It works if I connect it directly to a cable but wireless is another story.  The DSL site says that the Cisco wirless 350 PCMCIA card works out of the box but I can't seem to make it work at all.  The laptop (IBM Thinkpad R60)actually has a built in Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG network card.  It appeared that this card does not work well with DSL so I chose to insert a Cisco 350 card that I had laying around since it was said to work out of the box.
>
> Anyone have any experience with DSL running wirelessly?  Suggestions?

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? Is it definitely plugged in?

Seriously, that's not a lot of information to go on.

Is is not detecting the WiFi interface(s)*?

Is it detecting the interface but not any wireless networks?

Is it detecting but not joining wireless networks?

Is it joining networks but not letting you assign an address?

Is it configuring an address but not passing traffic?

	Zach

*On a related note, the Intel 3945 is supported by iwlwifi, which is in the mainline kernel since like 2.6.24, so it probably works now even if it didn't before as long as you've got a sufficiently new kernel.